To draw attention to the effort to STOP GENERAL IRON, Members of the 47th Ward Green Council, Chicago Audubon and friends from other conservation organizations observed a one-day hunger strike on Monday, February 22 in solidarity with the environmental justice groups working to prevent General Iron from relocating in the Calumet area.
The people, wildlife and wetlands of the Calumet area have borne more than their share of pollution, and it’s time for the City of Chicago to find a different way. We are using our platform to put pressure on Mayor Lori Lightfoot to do what is right. DENY the permit.
The one-day solidarity hunger strikers from our neighborhood organizations includes:
- Matt Rundquist, of the Green Council and Neighbors for Environmental Justice Advisory Board,
- Pete Leki, Waters School Ecology teacher and Riverbank Neighbors,
- Lisa Hish, of Riverbank Neighbors and the Green Council -statement- “I have the good fortune to breathe fresh clean air in my neighborhood as should my neighbors to the south. Deny the permit.”
- Ivan Handler, of the Green Council 47th Ward -statement- “This is how we express that we are hungry for environmental justice.”
- Michael Sewall of the Green Council,
- Jules Peterson-Green.. Green Council, Riverbank Neighbors, Waters Ecology,
- Heather Smith 1st grader Waters School Mom and Adjunct Professor, DePaul University Geography Department,
- Nick Anderson of the Lincoln Square Ravenswood Solidarity Network and
- 60 +people listed here: City-Wide page organized by Judy Pollock, Chicago Audubon Society
Solidarity can tip the scales away from injustice.
Background information about the hunger strike and issues
2/24/21 Nearing Their 4th Week Of A Hunger Strike, Activists Take Fight Against Southeast Side Scrapper To City Hall
Breanna Bertacchi, Chuck Stark and Oscar Sanchez will complete their 21st day without food Wednesday, as Ald. Byron Sigcho-Lopez (25th) joined the hunger strike and former Gov. Pat Quinn lent his support.
Hunger strikers are posting daily on Twitter.
Twitter #DenyThePermit live stream..
in the news…
Feb 18, 2021 WBEZ Hunger Strike Continues Over General Iron’s Move to Southeast Side. The Southeast Side of Chicago is home to the most industrial parts of the city, bearing the heaviest burden of pollution near homes, schools and parks.
Feb 17, 2021 Block Club Chicago Feds Tell City: Don’t Issue General Iron Permit Until Civil Rights Investigation Is Completed
Feb 14, 2021 The Guardian The Chicago plant that sparked a hunger strike amid environmental racism claims
Feb 11, 2021 Southeast Side activists staging hunger strike in bid to derail metal recycler’s planned facility
Feb 11, 2021 Hunger Strike Against Southeast Side Metal Scrapper Reaches Eighth Day WTTW
Feb 09, 2021 Hunger Strike To Stop East Side Scrapper Grows As More Activists Urge State, City Leaders To ‘Do Right By … Our Community’
Connect with the Green council through social media:
1- Our Official Ward 47 Green Council Facebook Page: